When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
Finding a business model that would work for poor consumers in rural Bihar, where demand exists, but financing/affordability is a challenge
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
- Designed a price appropriate product
- Activated MFIs to offer credit
- Processed key handle
- Worked through a turnkey solution provider (TSP) business model to settle on CRM and model
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- Going in without assumptions
- Mix of in-depth interview (IDI) and focus group discussion (FGDs)
- Separate interviews of household member
- Large sample size
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
- Not incorporating past experience explicitly
- Taking responses at face value, especially from value chain players
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Drivers of barriers/flow
- Customer narrative
- Buying process flow
- Value Chain analysis: product tracking/profit tools
- Actor mapping
- BM creation - value propositions for player
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
- Getting VC players to share data esp numbers
- Getting specialists to make choices
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
- People want toilets
- They don't have options
- They can't pay for it
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
- Appropriate product options
- Financing options
- Sweep approach
What advice would you give other organizations?
- Not all users are the same
- Disaggregate your data