When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
- Treating human waste on-site, without access to wash managements services and very little space to have waste management system on-site
- Flush toilets weren't working because of high volume of waste, and with no way to handle the treatment, the odor was bad
- Picking up half full containers is twice the cost of when full
- A lack of emphasis on handling waste streams, and damage mishandling waste can create
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
- Aerobic digestion waste
- Small footprint
- No odour
- Easy to install and maintain
- Allow the use of different toilet systems
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- Treating and breaking down the solid components of the waste system works very well
- Talking to the users to understand the reality of dealing with bathroom waste, and learning that proper soil conditions are a consideration
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
Treating the effluent did not work well for some locations
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
Install and return for feedback
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
Finding talent willing to do sanitation as a career
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
- Did not have to do all the work in house
- Finding other companies with the required talent to work with
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
Using more sub-contractors