When applying UCD to sanitation, describe a problem your organization was trying to solve?
Appropriate product did not exist at the right price point
What solution did you design to solve the problem?
Android system with RFID tags on containers
WHAT WORKED WELL
What part(s) of the UCD process did your organization do very well?
- Rapid prototypes
- Iteration with collectors
- Interviews with collectors, container cleaners, and management
- Identification of aspirational products
WHAT DIDN'T WORK
What part(s) of the UCD process did not go well?
- No iteration with middle management
- No UCD around data usage
- Scale vs. present need vs. future need
- Was built for the wrong audience
TOOLS AND FRAMEWORKS
What UCD tools or analytical frameworks did you use?
- Rapid prototype
- Drawing it out/storyboards
- Business model creation
WHAT WAS REALLY HARD
What were your biggest struggles?
- Identifying all the important users
- Seeing what you don't see
What was your biggest a-ha moment?
- The need to talk to middle management
- Figure out how it would impact them
So then what? What did you do? Discard the idea? Change course?
- Start by thinking about the end results and work backward
- Talked with managers about what they need from the data
- Creating automated/dashboards that give feedback on a few important indicators
What advice would you give other organizations?
- Look for your blind spots
- What happens to a system if you are removed?
- Be realistic about the costs before trying to do everything
- Identify most important pain points first
- Listen to customer
- Get to real root using 5 Whys